Indian Venison Stew
2 Red Bell Peppers
5 Green Jalapenos Chiles
1/4 cup Sunflower Oil
1 pound venison, cut into 1/1/2 cubes
1 onion diced
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 carrots, sliced
3 cups of Hominy
5 cups of water
1/1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon white pepper
- Roast the peppers then peel, seed and cut into long strips, roast the chiles, then peel and seed , devein, and dice.
- Heat the oil in a large stew pot over medium-high heat. When the oil is almost smoking, add the venison and cook until the meat is lightly browned, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the onion and garlic and saute 2 minutes more.
- Sir in the carrots, peppers, and chiles and cook 1 minute more. Add the hominy, water, salt, and pepper and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and let the stew simmer 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally to avoid burning, until the meat is very tender.
- Just before serving add the endive, stir 1 minute and spoon into bowls.
Serves 8 to 10