Country Style Venison Stew
1/2 lb Bacon or salt pork
2 lb Venison steak
4 tb Flour
6 c Water or beef stock
1 lg Tomato, chopped
2 md Carrots, sliced
2 md Stalks celery, sliced
2 md Potatoes, in 1" cubes
1 Dozen small white onions
1 tb Chopped parsley
1 c Fresh green peas
Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut bacon into 1" cubes and saute in large saucepan until lightly browned.
- Remove and set aside. Cut venison into 1 1/2 or 2" pieces and brown over high heat in 4 T bacon drippings.
- Stir in flour. Lower heat and let brown 2-3 minutes, stirring several times.
- Add liquid and let it simmer 1 hour or more until venison begins to get tender, add more liquid as necessary.
- Add all the other ingredients, except peas, and continue to simmer to make a thick stew.
- Simmer peas in a separate pan until done. Strain and spoon over or around stew when served.
- Great accompanied by buttered corn muffins and a salad.