Cracked Black Pepper Venison
2 pounds venison (deer meat)
2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
2 teaspoons course salt
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Season venison steaks with pepper and salt.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat;
- skim off solids (the 'milky' substance that forms) and discard. Transfer butter to a large skillet and heat over high heat.
- Saute venison steaks in skillet for about 3 minutes each side, then reduce heat to medium and cook for about 10 minutes each side for rare steaks, 15 minutes each side for medium.
- Remove from heat and let stand for 2 to 3 minutes before slicing into long strips. Serve immediately.