Portuguese Hot Red Pepper Sauce
2 to 6 chili peppers, depending upon their hotness
1 teaspoon kosher or coarse salt
1 cup olive oil
1/3 cup cider vinegar
Yield: about 1 1/2 cups
- Stem the peppers and coarsely chop (include the seeds).
- Place in a 1-pint shaker jar along with the salt, olive oil, and vinegar.
- Cover tight, shake well, then store at room temperature.
- The sauce will keep well for about a month.
- Shake the sauce every time you use it.
- Note: For mellower flavor, roast the peppers uncovered for 15 minutes at low oven heat (300 degrees F.),
- Cool until easy to handle, then slip off the skins.