Portuguese Beef Gravy Recipe
Sandwich or cubed steak
Liver, optional but adds to the dish
3 large onions
1 lb of small potatoes or cut up large ones
1 lb. of carrots cut up in large pieces
1 can of stewed tomatoes
1 teaspoon of soy sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
1/4 Tsp. of Garlic powder
1/4 tsp. of allspice
Portuguese allspice or less cinnamon
- Put the potatoes and carrots in a large pan and cover with water. Start to cook these.
- Brown steaks and liver in a separate pan.
- When they are brown, place over potatoes and carrots.
- In the pan you used for the steaks brown the onion and place atop of the meats.
- Add the tomatoes over the onion.
- Add a teaspoon of salt, 1/4 tsp. of pepper and a 1/4 of a teaspoon of garlic powder.
- Cover and simmer until the potatoes and carrots are done, about 1/2 to 2 hours.