Portuguese French Toast
4 cups skim milk
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon orange zest
1 (1 pound) loaf Portuguese sweet bread
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed
Makes 6 servings
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Whisk together the eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and orange rind in a medium mixing bowl.
- Cut the bread into seven or eight slices, and lay them, overlapping, in a large baking dish.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread, covering every slice.
- The bread should not be entirely submerged though; the higher parts should become toasted and crispy.
- Dot the bread with the butter. Bake the French toast in the oven for 35 to 45 minutes until the custard is set. Serve immediately.